5 September 2008

One week down...

So I've been here a whole 7 days now, it really doesn't feel like it. Really missing a few people from home...they know who they are. No actual homesickness as such yet, that might kick in when I'm finally settled in Newcastle.

If anyone has actually been paying attention you may have noticed I've removed all reference to the company's name on here as Dad pointed out people have been sacked just for mild criticism on blogs and I'm not one to hold back on the criticism front! So if you notice the company name sneak into a sentence or a photo then let me know asap and I'll delete it.

The last couple of days have been safety training (further freebies include neoprene stubbie holder, baseball cap and mining helmet shaped keyring torch) and medicals. The medicals were surprisingly brief, blood pressure, urine sample etc and we were done. Spent the afternoon wandering around Brisbane and exploring a bit then went out tonight for a few beers under the bridge. We've been eating there most nights and it's a very cool bar/pub with a lot of talent walking about but we're still not used to staying up past 9pm so were back in the hotel before 10pm!

Tomorrow and Sunday may involve a trip to either the Gold Coast or the Sunshine Coast depending on how we feel. Will be the first time I've slept past 6am since I got here! More photos will be forthcoming, should have had my camera on me today as we saw two foot long lizards and Ben had a green jumping spider on him all right next to our hotel.

That's all for now...I think...all comments appreciated.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

geeze... u realy need to learn to take a camra with you...
enjoy where ever you go! and dont forget the camra...
and im glad to her the medical wasnt tooo tedious!

Anonymous said...

Rob! How chuffed am i for you mate??!! I seem to remember that you had some doubts about this whole thing when you first got wind of it mate. Chuffed you decided to go for it!
Hope you get out of it what you hope to get out of it!
All the best buddy....Enjoy it!!
Cheers.
Speedy.